The Whittier Union High School District Student Well-Being Intern Program has been in existence since 2006. As such, our program is highly regarded, well-structured, and provides ample resources for interns to be successful!
Who We Take
- BSW Interns
- MSW Interns
- Post MSW Interns looking for their PPSC field experience/hours
Existing University Partnerships
- Azusa Pacific University
- Cal State Dominguez Hills
- Cal State Fullerton
- Cal State Long Beach
- Cal State Los Angeles
- Whittier College
Why Choose Us? Just look at what we offer!
- Experience with the high school population dealing with issues such as anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, grief & loss, family issues, trauma, academic and attendance concerns
- Clinical experience by providing students with individual, group, and case management services
- Training on completing thorough and comprehensive psycho-social assessments, creating treatment plans, using the DSM-V to find provisional diagnosis of clients, and writing DMH-approved documentation
- Experience collaborating with multidisciplinary school staff to aid in helping clients meet their goals
- Access to a Resource Google folder and internship binder filled with numerous resources, interventions, activities, etc
- Opportunities to gain skills and experience with parent and student presentations on topics related to mental health and wellness
- Learn about emotional regulation, mindfulness, empathy, compassion, patience, and how to see things through client’s lenses
- On-going trainings throughout the academic school year related to at risk populations, like foster and homeless youth, suicide and school threat assessment and response, dating violence, LGBTQ+, cultural humility, art and play therapy, trauma in schools, bullying, and other relevant topics
- Opportunities to develop and implement intern initiated projects
- Weekly individual supervision along with group supervision 2-3 times/month. We provide two separate group supervisions and trainings to ensure we accommodate all internship schedules
- Highly qualified, experienced, supportive, and available field instructors who possess their LCSW and PPSC in School Social Work and Child Welfare and Attendance
Interested in getting your PPSC?
While we are a high school district, we partner with our neighboring middle schools to offer interns their secondary placement required for the PPSC. We offer supervision of PPSC hours for interns, regardless of whether or not their current University has an accredited PPSC program.
What’s required of you?
- Participate in a pre-placement interview (coordinated by your University)
- Attend our 4 day Intern Academy in August
- Pass District clearance process (Live Scan and TB test)
- Obtain Certificate of Clearance (for interns obtaining PPSC hours only)
- Submit a copy of Malpractice Insurance (typically obtained by your University)
After completing internship with our program, interns are prepared and competitive in today’s job market!
If you would like further information about our program, click on the “Contact Us” tab above and send us an email. We’ll be happy to answer your questions!